Man charged in teen's traffic death expected to take plea deal | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- Looking at family photos of Shae Burchfield brings back a lot of memories of the 18-year-old Pedro Menendez High School graduate who loved going fishing.
This is symbolized in a family keepsake her grandfather wears around his neck.
"That was the last thing that I told Shae standing in her daddy's house. The last thing we said to each other was 'I love you,'" said Shae's grandfather Carl Burchfield.
And now three years after Shae was killed, her family can finally move forward.
Frederick Andrews -- the man driving the truck that collided with Shae while she was riding her dirt bike -- is expected to take a plea deal which would prevent a trial.
Andrews was arrested in July 2011 and charged with DUI manslaughter.
The entire Burchfield family is planning on attending Friday's decision. Shae's father has even thought about what he would say to Andrews if allowed to speak to him.
"Life is about decisions and you made decisions in your life and the decision that you made got you in this courtroom here today," Joe Burchfield said.
Poignant words from a father that has been consumed with the teen's death. He's relived that deadly afternoon a number of times, but he's staying strong and has no hate for the man at the center of it.
"I've cried it all out. I've come to terms with it."
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House