Man charged with burglary for allegedly taking gas from rental vehicles | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- A man has been arrested on burglary charges after he allegedly took fuel from rental cars on two occasions.
Bradley Wayne Smallwood, 38, of St. Augustine was charged with two counts of burglary and two open warrants for failure to appear on driving with a suspended license charges, according to a release from St. Johns County Sheriff's Office Media Relations Officer Kevin Kelshaw.
SJSO Deputy Joseph Romer was patrolling the 300 block of State Road 16 when he saw that the fuel line was cut to a GMC rental truck and a portable gas can was collecting the fuel.
Fuel had recently been taken from vehicles at Avis Rent A Car, located at 340 State Road 16, according to a SJSO report.
At first, Romer did not see anyone near the vehicle, then drove a distance and saw another vehicle exit the business parking lot.
When Romer conducted a traffic stop, he saw two gas cans on the floor of the vehicle "and detected a strong odor of fuel from the vehicle," according to the release.
Smallwood allegedly admitted to taking fuel from six vehicles on two different occasions. He was booked into the St. Johns County Jail on bonds totaling $16,750.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House