Food for Fines: St. Johns County Libraries collects 21K food items | News
ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. -- St. Johns County residents donated more than 21,000 food items instead of paying late book fines to the the St. Johns County Public Library System during the holiday season.
"These much-needed donations helped meet increased demand for meals during the holiday season and continue to provide assistance to those in need," St. Johns County Libraries said in a release.
The effort was part of the Food for Fines Program that gifted the donations to the St. Johns County Food Closet.
The donations passed last year's collection by 3,000 food items.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House