Two charged in fatal bonfire fight | News
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office has made two arrests in the bonfire fight that claimed the life of 19-year-old Ryan Scott Ford of St. Augustine.
Christopher Hoffman, 25, of Jacksonville was arrested Saturday and charged with manslaughter.
Robert Lloyd Cline II, 22, of Jacksonville was also arrested Saturday and charged with battery.
A JSO report says after several fights started at the bonfire in the woods at the 14500 block of Old St. Augustine Road, a witness observed Cline punching the victim.
The report also says witnesses saw Hoffman punching Ford several times until he fell to the ground.
Police say Cline admitted to punching the victim.
First Coast News tried to speak to him Sunday afternoon, but family members said they had no comment.
Ford was unconscious and taken to a nearby hospital, but later died from his injuries.
Police say he was not involved in the fights, but was caught in the middle.
The report says alcohol was a factor in the incident. Police are still trying to identify people who were at the bonfire but left before officers arrived.
Anyone with information should call First Coast Crime Stoppers at 1-866-845-TIPS.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House