N.C. woman dies after two accidents on I-95 | News
ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. -- A woman died after two accidents involving her vehicle on Interstate 95 at the State Road 206 entrance ramp, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
A 1998 SL2 Saturn, driven by Shirley H. Temple, 50 of Zebulah, N.C., crashed in a single-vehicle accident in the inside lane of Interstate 95 northbound Friday at 11:07 p.m., according to the crash report.
FHP says two good samaritans, Penny A. Punnett, 39, and her passenger Carlos Interiano, 27, saw the accident and stopped in the emergency lane to assist Temple.
Interiano attempted to push her Saturn backwards into the grass median to clear the roadway when a 2013 Ford Econoline van traveling northbound struck the car.
The front of the van, driven by Nely S. Cuellar 38 of Jacksonville, collided into the Saturn's right front.
Interiano was able to get out of the way of the moving car, but Punnett was struck by the Saturn as it rotated, according to crash scene investigators.
Temple was transported to Orange Park Medical Center where she was pronounced dead.
Punnett and Clemencia Ramos Lopez, a passenger inside of the van, were both transported to Flagler Hospital with minor injuries.
FHP said charges are pending, awaiting the final outcome of the investigation.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House