Right whale and calf spotted off St. Augustine Beach | News
ST. AUGUSTINE BEACH, Fla. -- A right whale and her calf were spotted off St. Augustine Beach Wednesday afternoon.
The two can be seen brushing the surface of the water near the pier.
It's calving season for right whales which means they head south to waters southern Georgia and northeast Florida.
Tom Pitchford with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said this whale was 8-year old female that biologists have been tracking. Her name is Black Heart.
Pitchford said it is her first calf.
According to state numbers, 13 mother calf pairs have been documented this season of Florida's coast.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Creeks Outlaws advance in Pop Warner Super Bowl
- Christmas on the creek will light up Julington on Saturday Dec 7th
- St. Johns superintendent removes self from Lt. Gov consideration
- Julington Creek boat fire caught on camera
- Freedom Boat Club at Julington Creek is new site for ‘Life Jacket Loaner Program for Kids’