Right whale and calf spotted off St. Augustine Beach | News
ST. AUGUSTINE BEACH, Fla. -- A right whale and her calf were spotted off St. Augustine Beach Wednesday afternoon.
The two can be seen brushing the surface of the water near the pier.
It's calving season for right whales which means they head south to waters southern Georgia and northeast Florida.
Tom Pitchford with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said this whale was 8-year old female that biologists have been tracking. Her name is Black Heart.
Pitchford said it is her first calf.
According to state numbers, 13 mother calf pairs have been documented this season of Florida's coast.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House