Retirement home security guard arrested for theft | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- A security guard at a retirement community has been arrested after police say he took items from a resident and pawned them at three different shops.
Andrew Michael Schmidt, 20, has been charged with defrauding a pawn broker, exploitation of the elderly, dealing in stolen property, burglary and grand theft according to a release from St. Johns County Sheriff's Office Public Information Officer Kevin Kelshaw.
An 82-year-old resident of Glenmoor Retirement Community noticed on Dec. 24 that several items were missing from the jewelry box in his bedroom.
Schmidt allegedly took and pawned several items over a three-month period that matched the description of those missing from the resident's jewelry box, including silver currency, bars and coins, and jewelry.
Additional charges against Schmidt are pending, Kelshaw said, as detectives discovered that he pawned other items from not-yet-identified victims.
Schmidt was booked into the St. Johns County Jail on Thursday and will have his first appearance on Friday morning.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House