Retirement home security guard arrested for theft | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- A security guard at a retirement community has been arrested after police say he took items from a resident and pawned them at three different shops.
Andrew Michael Schmidt, 20, has been charged with defrauding a pawn broker, exploitation of the elderly, dealing in stolen property, burglary and grand theft according to a release from St. Johns County Sheriff's Office Public Information Officer Kevin Kelshaw.
An 82-year-old resident of Glenmoor Retirement Community noticed on Dec. 24 that several items were missing from the jewelry box in his bedroom.
Schmidt allegedly took and pawned several items over a three-month period that matched the description of those missing from the resident's jewelry box, including silver currency, bars and coins, and jewelry.
Additional charges against Schmidt are pending, Kelshaw said, as detectives discovered that he pawned other items from not-yet-identified victims.
Schmidt was booked into the St. Johns County Jail on Thursday and will have his first appearance on Friday morning.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Bartram Trail hosts "Silent Night" girls basketball game
- Jacksonville’s Boatanista makes a splash and gains national recognition for her efforts
- Creeks Outlaws win Super Bowl of Pop Warner
- Creeks Outlaws advance in Pop Warner Super Bowl
- Christmas on the creek will light up Julington on Saturday Dec 7th