St. Augustine man convicted for sexually abusing teenage boy | News
DAYTONA BEACH. Fla. -- A 56-year-old St. Augustine man was convicted on three counts of lewd or lascivious battery sex activity with a victim between the age of 12 and 16 years old.
James Scharfschwerdt sexually abused a 14-year-old boy on three separate occassions during July 2007, according to Public Information Officer Klare Ly for the State Attorney's office of the 7th Judicial Circuit.
Ly's statement said Scharfschwerdt preyed on young boys that trusted him when he befriended them over fishing or boating. Scharfschwerdt would provide alcoholic beverages to his victims and also showed them pornographic movies.
The jury heard testimony from three other victims, according to Ly, it revealed that he allegedly sexually abused boys as young as 12 up to the age of 16.
Scharfschwerdt faces a maximum sentence of 45 years in prison. His sentencing hearing is scheduled for February 5, 2013
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Christmas on the creek will light up Julington on Saturday Dec 7th
- St. Johns superintendent removes self from Lt. Gov consideration
- Julington Creek boat fire caught on camera
- Freedom Boat Club at Julington Creek is new site for ‘Life Jacket Loaner Program for Kids’
- Expert talks life-saving trailer hitch safety