St. Augustine man convicted for sexually abusing teenage boy | News
DAYTONA BEACH. Fla. -- A 56-year-old St. Augustine man was convicted on three counts of lewd or lascivious battery sex activity with a victim between the age of 12 and 16 years old.
James Scharfschwerdt sexually abused a 14-year-old boy on three separate occassions during July 2007, according to Public Information Officer Klare Ly for the State Attorney's office of the 7th Judicial Circuit.
Ly's statement said Scharfschwerdt preyed on young boys that trusted him when he befriended them over fishing or boating. Scharfschwerdt would provide alcoholic beverages to his victims and also showed them pornographic movies.
The jury heard testimony from three other victims, according to Ly, it revealed that he allegedly sexually abused boys as young as 12 up to the age of 16.
Scharfschwerdt faces a maximum sentence of 45 years in prison. His sentencing hearing is scheduled for February 5, 2013
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House