Substitute teacher arrested for possession of obscene material | News
ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. -- A substitute teacher with the St. Johns County School District was arrested for possession of obscene material, according to St. Johns County Sheriff's Office.
Matthew Clay Atkinson, 26, was arrested Friday. Sgt. Chuck Mulligan with St. Johns County Sheriff's Office said the child exploitation charges are "internet based."
Mulligan was unable to confirm if it was child pornography. He said Atkinson is not charged with anything that involves contact with children, but the investigation is ongoing.
The cyber crimes unit conducted the investigation, Mulligan said. He added the sheriff's office notified the school district about Atkinson's arrest.
Christina Langston with the St. Johns County School District said that he was a newly hired substitute teacher.
Atkinson's first job was December 4 and he has subbed at three different schools: Mill Creek Elementary, Wards Creek Elementary, and Gaines Alternative and Transitional School, according to Langston.
He cleared the FBI and Florida Department of Law Enforcement background checks before being hired by the St. Johns County School District, Langston said.
Langston added that the superintendent of school in St. Johns County School, Dr. Joseph Joyner, will recommend Atkinson's termination at Tuesday's school board meeting.
The incidents were not school related, Langston added.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House