St. Augustine murder from 1974 remains unsolved | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- Police are still working to solve the death of a woman who's body was found in an empty field in November 1974.
On November 3, 1974, neighbors told police they saw Frances Bemis take her nightly walk, according to a news release from Mark Samson, Public Information Officer for the St. Augustine Police Department.
Samson said the next morning, Bemis' body was found in an empty field just south of 6 Marine St.
An autopsy performed by the medical examiner determined Bemis died of blunt force trauma, Samson said.
When police first interviewed neighbors, they reported hearing screaming around 7 p.m. November 3 and hearing what sounded like someone being choked.
Police searched the area at the time, Samson said, but did not find anything unusual.
Samson said Bemis owned the Maria Sanchez Apartments at 144 Marine St. She was also active in the community, involved with the Humane Society, Art Association and was outspoken about the treatment of carriage horses.
If you have any information that could help police, you are asked to contact St. Augustine Police Detective Corporal Charles Simpson at 904-209-3484 or the St. Augustine Police Tip Lines at 904-209-3482.
You may also contact Crime Stoppers at 1-888-277-TIPS. You could be eligible to receive a reward up to $5,000 from Crime Stoppers of Northeast Florida.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House