Mini Golf Battle Brewing in St. Augustine | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- As the pro hit the big links the amateurs hit the miniature holes at Bay Front Golf.
"It's been here since 1949, and some historians say it's the oldest mini-golf course in Florida," says Kim Kiff of Ripley's.
Ripley's pays the City of St. Augustine $22,000 a year to operate the golf course near the Bridge of Lions. But the lease is coming up for renewal, and city council will considering options Monday night.
Ripley's competition, Old Town Trolley Tours, wrote a letter to the City Manager, asking to take over. And the City Council has discussed stopping the lease, and leveling the course to use as an events field and wedding rental.
"I just found out that they're thinking about closing this place down, I won't let them, they're not allowed to," said Corey Zywics.
One issue the city is facing, making the course handicap accessible. Ripley's has offered to pay the $50,000 for this extra cost. Another piece of historic St. Augustine up for debate.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Creeks Outlaws advance in Pop Warner Super Bowl
- Christmas on the creek will light up Julington on Saturday Dec 7th
- St. Johns superintendent removes self from Lt. Gov consideration
- Julington Creek boat fire caught on camera
- Freedom Boat Club at Julington Creek is new site for ‘Life Jacket Loaner Program for Kids’