Mini Golf Battle Brewing in St. Augustine | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- As the pro hit the big links the amateurs hit the miniature holes at Bay Front Golf.
"It's been here since 1949, and some historians say it's the oldest mini-golf course in Florida," says Kim Kiff of Ripley's.
Ripley's pays the City of St. Augustine $22,000 a year to operate the golf course near the Bridge of Lions. But the lease is coming up for renewal, and city council will considering options Monday night.
Ripley's competition, Old Town Trolley Tours, wrote a letter to the City Manager, asking to take over. And the City Council has discussed stopping the lease, and leveling the course to use as an events field and wedding rental.
"I just found out that they're thinking about closing this place down, I won't let them, they're not allowed to," said Corey Zywics.
One issue the city is facing, making the course handicap accessible. Ripley's has offered to pay the $50,000 for this extra cost. Another piece of historic St. Augustine up for debate.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House