Seven Volkswagen Jettas Damaged After Semi Catches Fire on I-95 | News
ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. -- A semi caught fire on Interstate 95 south near S.R. 16 and the outside southbound lane will be closed through noon as a result.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the Western Star semi truck driver, who is from Kissimmee, was traveling southbound on I-95 in the right lane just before S.R. 16 at 2:12 a.m. when he noticed the right rear brake assembly of the car hauler trailer had ignited.
The driver, 49-year-old Marcial Rodriguez, pulled over and attempted to extinguish the fire but was unsuccessful. The fire spread to vehicles on the trailer. Seven of the new Volkwagen Jettas the semi was carrying went up in flames.
Firefighters were able to put the fire out. Fortunately, the driver was not injured. The damage was valued at approximately $140,000.
One southbound lane was closed due to the instability of the trailer. The inside lane will be closed until approximately noon while crews work to remove the trailer from the scene.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House