Rescue Helicopter Breaks Down on I-95 NB After Multi-Vehicle Wreck | News
ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. -- A rescue helicopter responding to a wreck involving multiple vehicles broke down in Interstate 95 this morning, forcing the continued closure of the northbound lanes for more than two hours.
The accident happened after 4 a.m. in the northbound lanes of I-95 near mile marker 326, just before CR-210.
According to those involved in the accident, a pickup truck was traveling northbound on I-95 when it veered into another lane and struck a Lexus. Another vehicle was approaching that wreck and swerved to avoid it, hitting yet another vehicle. A total of 4 vehicles were involved in the accident.
The pickup truck was seen flipped over on I-95. FHP has confirmed that the driver and a passenger of that truck have serious, but non-life-threatening injuries.
A helicopter was called to the scene to transport the injured to the hospital. That rescue helicopter broke down in the center northbound lane of the interstate, where it remained until crews were able to repair it. It was repaired and eventually took off around 6:45 a.m.
The two injured were taken to Shands via ambulance instead. The drivers and passengers of the other vehicles involved were not injured.
All northbound lanes of I-95 were shut down for several hours Friday morning. FHP reopened the interstate shortly before 7 a.m.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House