Driver Cited for Crashing into School Bus on S.R. 16 | News
ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. -- Thirteen students headed to Webster Elementary School this morning were delayed after a crash sent their driver to the hospital.
According to Jeremy Robshaw with St. Johns county Fire Rescue, none of the students suffered any injuries.
The Florida highway Patrol is handling the investigation of the crash, and their report concluded that 29-year-old James Christopher McRae was driving into a strong glare and was unable to see the stopped bus in front of him until it was too late.
The crash happened shortly before 8 a.m. in the eastbound lanes of State Road 16 just east of Interstate 95.
The FHP said the bus was stopped, with its lights on and stop sign out, in the right lane as children were boarding.
McRae was also eastbound in the same lane, and swerved left just before the collision.
The front of his Honda Accord became wedged under the rear of the bus.
McRae and the driver of the school bus were taken to Flagler Hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
McRae was cited for careless driving.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House