Driver Cited for Crashing into School Bus on S.R. 16 | News
ST. JOHNS COUNTY, Fla. -- Thirteen students headed to Webster Elementary School this morning were delayed after a crash sent their driver to the hospital.
According to Jeremy Robshaw with St. Johns county Fire Rescue, none of the students suffered any injuries.
The Florida highway Patrol is handling the investigation of the crash, and their report concluded that 29-year-old James Christopher McRae was driving into a strong glare and was unable to see the stopped bus in front of him until it was too late.
The crash happened shortly before 8 a.m. in the eastbound lanes of State Road 16 just east of Interstate 95.
The FHP said the bus was stopped, with its lights on and stop sign out, in the right lane as children were boarding.
McRae was also eastbound in the same lane, and swerved left just before the collision.
The front of his Honda Accord became wedged under the rear of the bus.
McRae and the driver of the school bus were taken to Flagler Hospital for treatment of minor injuries.
McRae was cited for careless driving.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Creeks Outlaws advance in Pop Warner Super Bowl
- Christmas on the creek will light up Julington on Saturday Dec 7th
- St. Johns superintendent removes self from Lt. Gov consideration
- Julington Creek boat fire caught on camera
- Freedom Boat Club at Julington Creek is new site for ‘Life Jacket Loaner Program for Kids’