Sea turtle season off to slow start in NE Florida | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (AP) - Officials in northeast Florida say sea turtle season appears to be off to a slow start.
St. Johns County Habitat Conservation Section spokeswoman Tara Dodson says only 195 nests have been located so far this year, compared to 367 spotted by early July of 2013.
Dodson says a late summer could be behind the slow start, especially following a chilly April. Green turtle nesting is especially low.
The Florida Times-Union reports green turtle nesting occurs from June through late September. So far only two nests near Vilano Beach have been spotted.
Florida Fish and Wildlife spokeswoman Annie Meylan says the results are mixed statewide. For northeast Florida the numbers are definitely lower this year.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House