Jury recommends death for man who killed student | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (AP) - Northeast Florida jurors have recommended death for an escaped Louisiana inmate convicted of killing a Florida State graduate student.
A St. Johns County jury made the recommendation Thursday for Kentrell Johnson, who was previously convicted of first-degree murder and kidnapping.
A judge will make the final decision. Authorities say 29-year-old Vincent Binder was found death in an open field near Interstate 95 in April 2010 several weeks after he went missing.
Deputy marshals caught up with Johnson and two other Louisiana prison escapees in Miami and linked them to Binder. One of Johnson's co-defendants, Quentin Truehill, was previously convicted and sentenced to death earlier.
Co-defendant Peter Hughes pleaded as charged to first-degree murder and kidnapping and received a life sentence.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House