Flagler College needs more dorm space | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- Flagler College needs more dormitory space. It's not necessarily because the student population is growing, but because more students want to live on campus.
Freshmen at Flagler College have to live on campus, but the college president says more returning students are wanting to live on campus as well.
Dr. William Abare said the school has 50 more students than they have beds for in the fall semester.
President Abare said the students may realize the benefits on living close by such as food at the very nice cafeteria and the interaction with students. He added that the limited rental market may play a role as well.
"I think probably rental property is more expensive and student now look at a full year lease rather than a 9 month lease because students are only here for 9 months," Abare said.
He said Flagler College is looking at hotels and motels to either purchase or lease for dormitory space. A recent offer was turned down. Construction is not off the table either, but there's not much real estate available in downtown St. Augustine.
"We don't have a lot of empty lots we can pick and choose from. There is some property," Abare said.
He added that the staff will make room for the students in the fall somehow, even if it's "stuffing them" into the current buildings. It's not his first choice, but he wants to provide on-campus living to those who want it.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House