Five suspects busted with fake travelers cheques | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- Five suspects are facing charges for allegedly possessing and using counterfeit checks at a local mall.
Deputies with the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office responded to the St. Augustine Premium Outlet Mall Monday afternoon, after several business reported receiving counterfeit American Express travelers checks, according to a release from the SJSO.
Two females suspects were located by deputies in the area, while a third female suspect was seen leaving with two men in an SUV, the release detailed. A short time later, the SUV and suspects were located at a World Golf Village convenience store. Deputies and detectives allegedly found over $900 in cash from the suspects and recovered at least $1,000 in suspected counterfeit checks.
The suspects were identified as,18-year-old Channiah Alexei Shaw, Dale H. Ferdinand, 25, Deonna Denise Phelps, 21, Quanashia Shakeal Jolley, 20 and 27-year-old Vontez Leroy Wright and are charged with purchasing items with the counterfeit $100 checks and receiving cash as change.
Shaw, Ferdinand, and Wright were released after posting $2,500 bond each. Phelps and Jolley are still in the St. Johns County Jail on bonds of $10,000 and $1,500 respectively.
Additional charges are pending further investigation.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House