Marineland's Nellie the dolphin dies at age 61 | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- Nellie, the oldest dolphin in human care, has died at age 61, Marineland Dolphin Adventure announced on its Facebook page on Thursday.
In May 2013, Nellie was awarded an honorary doctoral degree from Jacksonville University during her 60th birthday celebration.
She was born in Marineland on Feb. 27, 1953 and became a national celebrity, appearing in a Timex commercial and in TV shows featuring Marineland.
"While an unfortunate loss for Marineland Dolphin Adventure and the Georgia Aquarium family, Nellie's legacy continues through the memories created and inspiration she left behind," staff wrote on the Georgia Aquarium blog.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House