Makeover for King Street in St. Augustine | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- A small, busy road on the First Coast is about to undergo a makeover.
King Street in St. Augustine is scheduled for a drainage and streetscape project.
King St. is one of the main roads residents and visitors travel into downtown St. Augustine. Business owners along the street welcome the improvements.
The proposed project would run from Malaga Street to the Bridge of Lions. The improvements could include new street lights, better drainage, and putting the power lines underground. Some business owners hope additional parking could be a part of the improvements.
Bruce Maguire owns Whetstone Chocolates on King Street and says, "We terribly need parking at this end of St. Augustine. We don't' have any right now. The only place you can park is little ad hoc places around the city, closer to downtown or the main parking building on the other side of town."
St. Augustine's Public Works Directors said the total costs could be $1.5 – $2 million and the city may seek help to pay for the King Street project from business owners.
The construction start date is expected to be 2017.
A public meeting about the King Street project is scheduled for Thursday, April 24 at 5:30 p.m. at the Markland House located on King St.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House