2 in custody, 1 on the run after manhunt | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- The search for a wanted fraud suspect in St. John's County was called off Wednesday after a five hour manhunt.
The investigation began just before 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, when personnel at the Dollar General on Murbella Parkway called the St. John's County Sheriff's Office to report three suspects who allegedly used a credit card fraudulently.
A female suspect identified as 32-year-old Shelita Sutton was arrested and charged with fraud, however two male suspect fled on foot. K-9 units were used to pursue the suspects and one of the men was later captured. A helicopter from the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office was also used in the search.
The St. John's County Sheriff's Office, along with Florida Highway Patrol, Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission continued to search for the third suspect involved in the incident until about 3:15 p.m.
The male suspect was last seen wearing red pants/shorts and a purple shirt. K-9 units have tracked the suspect to the area of County Road 214 and Interstate 95. There is no information as to whether or not the suspect is armed, however he is believed to have multiple out of state warrants.
Residents in the area have been notified and have been asked to remain vigilant and to report anything suspicious immediately. Deputies are escorting children who live in the area to their homes as they are let off school buses.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House