Noche de Gala: A grand celebration in St. Augustine | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- St. Augustine threw a big birthday party this weekend, celebrating the city's founder, Pedro Menendez and Spanish history.
The Noche de Gala was Saturday night. It started with a grand procession from the Casa Monica Hotel to the Lightner Museum.
The event celebrates what would have been the 495th birthday of Menendez as well as the relationship between St. Augustine and Aviles, Spain, the city of Menendez birth.
Aviles, Spain and St. Augustine are sister cities.
The Noche de Gala is one of the premier events in St. Augustine. Dignitaries from Spain were in attendance.
Many people dressed in colonial formal attire.
First coast News' Jessica Clark attended the event.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House