Police investigating fatal crash on U.S. 1 | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- A deadly crash closed a portion of U.S. 1 early Friday morning.
A car struck a power pole on U.S. 1 near King Street, knocking it over and into the roadway, according to Sergeant Brian Frasca with the St. Augustine Police Department. The crash occurred shortly before 3 a.m. according to the Florida Power and Light website, leaving about 80 customers without power. The car drove off after striking the pole.
A short time later a motorcyclist ran into the pole, crashed and landed in the roadway, Frasca detailed. Another car struck the motorcyclist and also drove off.
Police are trying to notify the motorcyclist's next of kin and will release more details on the crash later today.
Anyone who has any information about the crash or either driver involved is asked to contact the St. Augustine Police Department at 904-825-1070.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House