On Your Side: Checking an Officer's identification | News
CLAY COUNTY, Fla. -- First Coast News got an email from Joyce who said someone disguised as a police officer came to her door, demanding $6,000. She was afraid and eventually gave it to the man.
Captain Joe Bucci, with the Clay County Sheriff's Office, gave tangible information on how you can confirm whether or not someone that comes to your door is an Official Law Enforcement Officer.
According to Bucci:
1) Ask to see a badge and department identification. It'll have a photo with it.
2) Call the dispatch center when the person gives you a badge number to confirm who they are.
3) Ask for a supervisor with dispatch to triple check.
4) When in doubt, if you're not sure, take their information and confirm it inside your home while they wait outside.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Christmas on the creek will light up Julington on Saturday Dec 7th
- St. Johns superintendent removes self from Lt. Gov consideration
- Julington Creek boat fire caught on camera
- Freedom Boat Club at Julington Creek is new site for ‘Life Jacket Loaner Program for Kids’
- Expert talks life-saving trailer hitch safety