New information on Jones-Drew, alleged victim | News
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- First Coast News has learned more about Maurice Jones-Drew and the man claiming to be punched by Jones-Drew at a St. Augustine restaurant.
Jones-Drew has not been charged with battery in the alleged attack on 31-year-old Kasim Howard.
In 2005, Howard filed a lawsuit against the St. Augustine Police Department after he claimed he was battered by a police officer. Howard lost that lawsuit in court.
Howard also filed a suit against Continental Airlines in 2010 for a contract complaint. That case was closed the next year.
He has an extensive rap sheet with the St. Johns County Sheriff's Office, including arrests for battery, petty theft, threats to a public officer, and aggravated battery. However, he was never convicted of any of these crimes.
RELATED: Police clear-up MoJo press release mix-up
Howard was an amateur heavyweight boxer, fighting under the name Kasim "the American Dream" Howard.
First Coast News investigation revealed that Jones-Drew was previously charged with assault in 2006. He and two former UCLA players allegedly attacked a man in a Denny's restaurant.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House