Velo Fest Celebrates Life of Bryan Wrigley | Arts & Culture
Velo Fest: Movement of the People is the kick off the second year for Velo Fest Community Initiative.
The festival which is April 13 and 14, 2012 will showcase a community of bikes parade at 5:30pm starting at the parking garage, riding through the historic district in St Augustine FL, ending at Flagler College with a free educational event. Saturday morning at 7am spectators can watch professional cyclists race through the old streets in the Old City Criterium commentated by international triathlete and resident, Dirk Bockel. Finally, Wrigley Ride, a memorial ride for Bryan Wrigley, will begin and end at the St Augustine Amphitheatre at 2pm while taking riders past his memorial ghost bike. Bryan’s mother Mandy will be on the route to hand out flowers for riders to drop at the site of his death on CR- 214. Everyone is then invited to music, food and fun until 8pm at the St Augustine Amphitheatre. SweetWater Brewery is on tap with the sounds of The Red River Band, Son of a Bad Man, and Flagship Romance. We encourage everyone to watch, ride, or race to any of the events to show their support. More information on where to register and schedule can be found at www.velofest.org.
Bryan Wrigley is the reason this event was created and subsequently ignited into being. Bryan, a fellow rider, friend, student, and son, was involved in a fatal hit and run which is still not a closed case. His mother, Mandy, as well as twin brother and father have struggled this past year trying to cope with this tragedy. Mandy has repeated that she just wants something good to come out of all of this, and we are trying to help make that happen until one day, hopefully soon, the killer is caught.
Velo Fest Community Initiative is a 501(c) 3 based in St. Augustine, FL. The mission of Velo Fest is to educate the cycling community and community at large about the historical significance of cycling, as well as build a mutually beneficial environment where cyclists and 4 plus wheels can co-exist to make a more peaceful commuting experience while decreasing carbon foot print, promoting healthy activity, and promoting the cultural importance of cycling.
To date we have completed two projects that have had high impact to our county; Sharrows on the Bridge of Lions and the St Johns County Bike Route Map. This next year we are partnering with the City of St Augustine, NFTPO, FDOT and other organizations locally to pursue the infrastructure needs suggested by the NFTPO study for our city.
Upcoming Events near St. Augustine
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- More firefighters on the job in Clay County
- Dogs at Clay County Animal Care and Control in need of homes
- Harvey's Supermarket closing in Green Cove Springs as is a distribution center, lost jobs
- Teen spends 35 days in jail after mistaken arrest
- Former IT specialist accused of stealing $19K in computer equipment
- If women can run nations and corporations, they can certainly learn to run a boat
- Advocacy group believes aquarium would provide much-needed lift for downtown
- Lisa Almeida of Freedom Boat Club named Up and Coming Entrepreneur of the Year at the Women in Busin
- Freedom Boat Club promotes Dock Manager to Director of Dock Operations
- Freedom Boat Club to hold Open House