ST. AUGUSTINE BEACH, Fla. -- One man is dead after an apparent work-related electrocution at a gas station in St. Augustine Beach.
Police Chief Robert Hardwick said the incident happened at an unspecified time on the roof of the Kangaroo Express in the 300 block of A1A Beach Boulevard.
An on-duty patrol officer, Hardwick said, noticed an unidentified truck in the business's parking lot and a latter going up one side of the building.
"The officer thought it to be suspicious because unfortunately that's how our criminals in St. Johns County have tried to gain access to businesses before," the chief said.
Hardwick said the officer checked with the on-duty gas station attendant, who reported no prior knowledge of the truck or latter's presence.
"There was a shift change. The clerk didn't come on until about 11, so they were unaware," he said.